History

Alderman Alf Masser and A. G. (Bert) Baker, the then golf correspondent at the Yorkshire Evening Post newspaper, campaigned long and hard for the introduction of municipal golf in Leeds.

Consequently, the first golf course at Temple Newsam, designed by Dr. Alistair Mackenzie (designed Augusta and Alwoodley among others), was opened on 20th July 1923. However, Mr. Baker had already gathered interested parties together and in February of that year, a meeting was convened at the Hotel Metropole in Leeds and the Leeds Municipal Golfers Club was born.

Appropriately, A. G. Baker became the first Chairman of the club.

Due to the popularity of the Temple Newsam course, 25,000 rounds were played there during the first 2 years, the second course was opened in 1925. The Lord Mayor of Leeds, Mr. C. G. Gibson, performed the opening ceremony that included both the new course and the present clubhouse (the first changing facilities comprised a wooden hut close to the first tee.)

Lord Irwin Course 1923

This is the 1st description of the layout of the 1st course built at Temple Newsam it appeared in the Yorkshire Evening Post on April 30th 1923, 3 months before the course was open.

Read the description of each hole can you work out which holes are which ?
Where is the 16th now ???
Click here to see the article

Poppy Wingate

Temple Newsams most famous Lady Golfer

Click on the link to read about Poppy Wingate

Yorkshire Evening News Tourney 1933

A Caricature of the top British Professionals who played in the 1933 Y.E.N tournament held at Temple Newsam

Click here to see image

Time
00:00
News
  • PETITION
    newsthumbnail
Weather
  • 2019-11-18
  • 2019-11-19
  • 2019-11-20
  • 2019-11-21
  • 2019-11-22
Need to know more weather details? Click here to see the weather for the next 5 days.
Calendar
Loading the Calendar...
Course Status
Currently open
30.08.2018 10:08
View Status
ALWAYS OPEN